Gigha celebrates 10 years of community ownership.
March 19, 2012
- Gigha’s population has risen from 98 to 157
- The school roll has almost tripled
- 60% of the island’s inhabitants are under 45
- 18 new houses have been built for social rent
- a dozen new businesses have started, including the award-winning Renewable Energy Ltd
- Gigha’s Three Dancing Ladies – Faith, Hope and Charity (wind turbines) generated £100, 000 profit in their first year and continue to bring an income to the community.
- Gigha is no longer classed by HIE as “fragile”
Read the David Ross’s full account in the Herald: http://www.heraldscotland.com/gigha-god-s-island-of-growth-1.885493